Friday 10 September 2010

Little Ayasofya (Kuechuek)

Yesterday after Ayasofya, I  came back here before popping in to have a look at Little Ayasofya (Kuechuek) just a stone's throw away. A  beautiful space and three men came in and prayed while I was there. Next to the mosque was a courtyard flanked by little shops - booksellers and others- with a quiet coffee shop in the middle. Families played together, old men sat and watched the world go by.

I then strolled down to the water's edge which turned out to be rather uninspiring - the park area was strewn with rubbish (as expected of course) and the traffic noise was all-pervasive. I  wandered back and enjoyed a Turkish coffee in the restaurant next door to the main Deniz Konak building.

A bit of vege-out time watching TV and trying to read some things on the internet, and finally around 8pm I headed out for dinner. I took a slightly different route and stumbled on the bazaar, walked through it and arrived at the back of the Blue Mosque. I had dinner - Dervish Kavura and Ayran - at a touristy place with a duo performing traditional music along with a young guy doing a dervish dance. Music was quite good, as was the food.

I got to sleep easily again but woke at 4am and wasn't able to get back to sleep. Eventually gave up. It's windy this morning and not so warm yet. I think my cough might be almost better but I'm afraid to say it in case it isn't! What a curse it's been.

No comments:

Post a Comment